Deleuze & Guattari, Zizek on Arendt (More from Brennan)

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at arts.usyd.edu.au
Fri Jan 10 05:55:07 PST 2003

Quoting Grant Lee <grantlee at iinet.net.au>:

> The thing about popular culture, as opposed to everyday relations of
> production, is that pop culture is always open to reading and re-reading,
> but there are only so many ways you can interpret a striker being beaten by
> a cop.

OK, let's say that's true, though I've noticed more than a little rereading of such incidents, why does that make popular culture less interesting, significant, relevant, and so on and so forth.

> By the way, when I said on this list in October that the Bali bombing
> _happened_ to hit at a cornerstone of Australian popular culture, you
> responded with an enigmatic/throwaway comment about the victims being
> footballers ... Some might have interpreted that as an antipathy to popular
> culture. Or are you only interested in some kinds of pop culture? If so,
> which ones?

Well, sorry, I can only manage throwaway when it comes to football. I wish I could believe I ever managed enigmatic about football -- really I'd aspire to that -- but in fact I doubt it. I do have a degree of antipathy to football, especially rugby league, but I guarantee I find it important and worthy of study. THere's a RL week on my new course and all. I did find the inflection of the bombing through football in media coverage very disturbing -- so that was disturbed rather than dismissive glibness, but hastily done they can be pretty hard to tell apart I guess.

What kind of penance would be appropriate?

Catherine

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP at ArtsIT: http://admin.arts.usyd.edu.au/horde/imp/