"Popular" in English & Spanish Re: Deleuze & Guattari...

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 10 08:33:49 PST 2003

--- Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:
> If anyone has anything interesting to say about
> _Empire_ or "popular
> culture" or anything else, go ahead and say it,
> rather than simply
> insisting that it can be interesting, significant,
> relevant, or
> whatever.

This is classic Yoshie. Let's recall the steps leading up to the above statement. First she casts a slur on "Empire" by stating that it was just a pop phenomenon, and that therefore we should "move on". Then people asked what was wrong with a pop phenomenon. Now she has turned the tables, and encourages people to talk about "Empire" or any other form of "pop culture", instead of just insisting on the attributes of pop culture! Got to hand it to you Yoshie, you are the Houdini of rhetoric. Wow!

Thomas

===== "Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

"Money eats quality and shits out quantity" -William Burroughs