"Empire as a Way of Life"

Kelley jimmyjames at softhome.net
Fri Jan 10 09:43:59 PST 2003

At 11:29 AM 1/10/03 -0600, Jeffrey Fisher wrote:
>here comes the yoshie article-snippet-bombardment.
>
>for someone so disdainful of information as a force, you certainly have a
>penchant for info warfare.

I miss ted, not that he posted enough as it was....

> Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 20:18:33 -0500

> From: Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>

> Every day, LBO-talkers, academic or non-academic, collectively &

> empirically demonstrate Thomas Hobbes' proposition that nature hath made

> men equal, especially in the faculty of the mind. A more effective &

> practical refutation of apologies for inequality (such as Charles Murray's)

> than this cannot be found anywhere. Therefore, I'd say that the regular

> LBO contributors are daily rendering a modest service to humanity.

i read this on saturday, and the bee it put up my butt is still buzzing around happily, a-tippling on the nectar that pervades its new home. unfortunately, i find it rather less comfortable, and so i must evict it.

when i close my eyes, i see yoshie as a stretch armstrong-like action figure, so supple must she be to pat herself on the back in this fashion. if filtering out over-limit messages, relent- lessly bombarding a list with conspicuous exercises in 'connoi- seurship' in the form of interminable ****ing quotations, and generally seeking to dominate and subjugate open discussions to her Inexorable Will is a 'modest service to humanity,' then i'm alan greenspam.

how about this: her hostility to psychonalysis, rather than the fragile house of philosophical cards she fobs it off as, is in fact a far more humdrum terror at the kind of humility and com- fort with ambiguity borne of a self-examination that sees Will as, above all, a symptom: not exclusively so, but primarily so. of course, to anyone willing to view him- or herself as anything less than a prince(ss) of thought, to acknowledge such a possi- bility is first and foremost an act of dignifying legitimation; but i suspect this Central Truth of psychoanalysis and its prog- eny will be lost on the tireseom ideologues who oppose it 'on principle.'

sorry for the ad hominem; but anyone who so lacks in circumspec- tion is Really Asking For It. stick that in your arse and smoke it, o language microfascists. but make sure your reading of my metaphors doesn't occlude the marxist understanding of class.

cheers, t - http://squawk.ca/lbo-talk/0002/0475.html