Deleuze & Guattari, Zizek on Arendt (More from Brennan)

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Fri Jan 10 09:59:52 PST 2003

Catherine:

> why does that make popular culture less interesting,
> significant, relevant, and so on and so forth

I didn't say it was ... although perhaps we've reached an analytical brick wall, if you are saying there is no difference between events-in-themselves and their representation.

> I do have a degree of antipathy to football, especially rugby league, but
I guarantee I find it important
> and worthy of study.

There is a distinct dissonance between the first and last parts of that sentence. And although I'm almost RL-illiterate I would have thought was highly worthy of sympathy/analysis, since it is such a working class game?

> I did find the inflection of the bombing through football in media
coverage very disturbing

Of course. But what would you expect?

> What kind of penance would be appropriate?

Since I wasn't brought up as a Catholic, it's kind of beyond me ;-) Ummmm ... maybe you could try not being so quick to scold those of us who happen to be just _slightly _ more interested in relations of production (than the results of such production).

Regards,

Grant.