The Texas populist take on the tax cut

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Jan 10 10:28:03 PST 2003

Max:
> Woj is wrong too.
>
> There's significant investor class dough
> funding vicious right-wing outlets on radio,
> print, and internet. And there's always Fox.
>
> mbs

True, but do not underestimate the funding of liberal causes. Just look what large liberal foundations, like Ford, McArthur, Kellog, Mott etc. are funding. Also do not forget Emily list or the Hollywood.

Liberal funding outweigh conservative funding on the $ for $ basis (I would need to do some research to support that, though), albeit the right tends to fund strategically positioned (e.g. Heritage) or particularly obnoxious (Pioneer) outfits. Liberal foundations, otoh, tend to fund more grassroots programs that have lesser public visibility.

Methinks rightwing, reactionary populism is genuinely homegrown in this country - it is merely being harvested by shrewd moral entrepreneurs like Robertson, Limbaugh or Farrakhan. Whatever was left in this country was brought, for the most part, by European immigrants, but as these new arrivals assimilated to the rabidly reactionary US culture, there is no much left left here anymore. If it were not for the well funded liberal outfits (not radical, to be sure, but even more suspicious of the populist right), this country would be way more reactionary than it is now. Just think of the good old South, Kentucky's war on evolution, or for that matter, Michigan militia.

Wojtek