Helen Thomas vs. Ari Fleischer

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 10 11:48:59 PST 2003

-- Luke Weiger <lweiger at umich.edu> wrote:
> Yoshie wrote:
> > Justifiable if the Arab masses think it
> justifiable, unjustifiable if
> > the Arab masses don't think it justifiable. I
> leave it up to them to
> > determine.
>
> This is absurd. Was the Earth flat when the masses
> believed it to be so?
>
> -- Luke

Not so quick, young Luke. Whether people think something i justifiable arguably does bear on whether it is justifiable. That doesn't mean they can't be wrong, but the common opinion of mankind, if there is such a thing, matters a lot. It's not like the earth, where its; not up to us. Even in your flat-headed utilitarianism, whether something promotes happiness or desire-satisaction obviously refers to what we think. Moreover, Yoshie is referring to a principle that you, with your White Man's Burden paternalist arrogance, don't acknowledge, that the opinion of the people affected matters most. That may be wrong, but it's not absurd -- not nearly as absurd as utilitarianism, in my view. jks