popular culture

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Fri Jan 10 17:42:00 PST 2003

At 05:59 PM 01/10/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Who do you think produces the stuff that Sony et al market? They
>still need real artists to write songs and books and movie scripts.
>Of course big capital appropriates the product, and the artists at
>the top of the heap even get a cut of the profit flow, but they can't
>industrialize the process entirely. Case in point: the absolute
>failure of MBAs to rationalize book publishing.

Right, but these "real" artists produce something different when they work for Sony. My mother had another version of this problem when she was writing stuff in Romania that had to get funding/validation from the ideological censors. She wrote to a distinct formula...everyone had to do that or else "write for the drawer."

Joanna