al-PHAN (Palestinian Humanities and Arts Now)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jan 10 20:52:16 PST 2003

***** Palestinian Humanities and Arts Now

About Us

Our name comes from the Arabic word al-phan (pronounced fan) meaning "the arts" and is an acronym in English for Palestinian Humanities and Arts Now. al-PHAN is a Chicago-based not-for-profit organization dedicated to promoting the many artistic talents of Palestinians and artists influenced by the Palestinian Experience. Our events planning is done year-round and is focused on fostering greater understanding within American society of this unique collective history.

In order to convey these experiences and perspectives we have chosen this medium, the arts, because it can serve as both a means to illustrate profound events in our lives, as well as present the growth and diversification of a culture in Diaspora. Through consistent events al-PHAN will not only proliferate understanding of the Palestinian Experience, but will also provide a solid platform for both established and emerging artists to display their efforts. We believe that exposing people to this rich heritage in the arts and humanities will help to educate and enrich all of our lives.

Composed of very diverse members, al-PHAN was formed with the intent of drawing parallels between the Palestinian struggle and other civil rights and social movements of our time. We further seek to create an environment where the expression of non-mainstream thought is not only encouraged but also presented to audiences not normally aware of this perspective.

al-PHAN was conceptualized and founded in 2001. It was very clear that a need existed for people to experience firsthand the wealth of Palestinian culture and its influence on the arts. We have taken on this task and begun to bridge the gaps in cultural understanding that exist today. Our hope is that through education and interaction we are able to improve multicultural understanding of one another and broaden awareness of the Palestinian Experience.

<http://www.al-phan.org/about_us.html> *****

***** al-PHAN Photo Journal Exhibit

Concept

al-PHAN (Palestinian Humanities & Arts Now; http://www.al-phan.org/) has a new initiative entitled "Mind, Body, and Soul of Palestine" that will begin its nationwide tour in January of 2003.

al-PHAN's concept is a collection of 36 photographs, taken by three talented photographers, capturing the Mind, Body, and Soul of Palestine. This compilation contains works that illustrate the Palestinian people in their everyday lives (Mind), the city and landscapes of Palestine (Body), and the Palestinian people's struggle for self-determination and life under occupation (Soul).

The captivating imagery shows the essence of Palestine, vividly portraying the spirit of a vibrant people and culture in the context of their unique history. Featuring the work of photographers Andrew Courtney, Luke Powell, and Steve Sabella, this gallery production will contain framed and mounted photographs in both black & white and color prints. Each photograph will be accompanied by explanations written by the photographer that captured them.

<http://www.al-phan.org/photojournal/> *****

***** Traveling Children's Art Exhibit - *Now in Chicago, IL*

This exhibit is a collection of over 50 works of art, created by Palestinian school children, who were asked how they saw the world around them. The children created images that reflect the stark reality of life in an occupied land, and the devastating circumstances that they live and die under. These images demonstrate the profound psychological impact that occupation, oppression, and apartheid have upon the children of Palestine.

The nationwide tour of art work entitled "Innocence Under Siege" has concluded its tour and will have a final showing in Chicago, IL before being archived into our resource library. If you would like to borrow this exhibit for a venue near you, please e-mail us [@ <events at al-phan.org>].

Innocence Under Siege