Deleuze & Guattari, Zizek on Arendt (More from Brennan)

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at arts.usyd.edu.au
Sat Jan 11 05:06:11 PST 2003

Quoting Grant Lee <grantlee at iinet.net.au>:

> > why does that make popular culture less interesting,
> > significant, relevant, and so on and so forth
>
> I didn't say it was ... although perhaps we've reached an analytical brick
> wall, if you are saying there is no difference between events-in-themselves
> and their representation.

well "no difference" is not the claim i would make they can be different in their perception, which matters a great deal

> > I do have a degree of antipathy to football, especially rugby league, but
> I guarantee I find it important
> > and worthy of study.
>
> There is a distinct dissonance between the first and last parts of that
> sentence. And although I'm almost RL-illiterate I would have thought was
> highly worthy of sympathy/analysis, since it is such a working class game?

why? i can resent something and still think it important and worthy of study. good god, where would politics depts be if that was not the case?

> > I did find the inflection of the bombing through football in media
> coverage very disturbing
>
> Of course. But what would you expect?

i'm not clear on the question. do you mean could i have predicted it? well, i could have hoped it wouldn't be so apparently unassailable

> > What kind of penance would be appropriate?
>
> Since I wasn't brought up as a Catholic, it's kind of beyond me ;-)

owing to many centuries of influence i do not believe you or anyone in your place could not devise 'penance'. however, what you offer me is punishment, which is a bit different. you have to give me an opportunity to obtain the erasure of my transgression.

> ... maybe you could try not being so quick to scold those of us who happen
> to be just _slightly _ more interested in relations of production (than the
> results of such production).

i guarantee i never scold. it's not my style. i may harangue, taunt, tease, pout, foray, fume, circle, avoid, distract, imitate, scorn, scoff, and many more besides. i have even been known to ridicule, but i never scold.

and -- i do not believe you can so neatly distinguish between relations of production and the results of such production you've already told me RL is a working-class game and i won't pretend to disagree -- but in what sense then is it simply a result of production rather than itself a relation of production (not the same kind as a sawmill or a fashion runway, no... but those are also results of production)

Catherine

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP at ArtsIT: http://admin.arts.usyd.edu.au/horde/imp/