Popular culture

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jan 11 09:25:25 PST 2003

>On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>> It is ironic that most creative branches of jazz are not "popular
>> music" today. Creative branches of jazz (more so than classical
>> music) are _the_ music for intellectuals (like Justin!).
>
>So we should avoid it, then, yes? I'd hate to think I was listening to the
>sort of music George Kennan or Dean Acheson grooved to.
>
>Not interested in "music for intellectuals,"
>
>Brian

I don't see anything wrong with "music for intellectuals." Shouldn't intellectuals have their own music as well? Besides, any music that Justin listens to is worth listening to. ;->

I'm just saying that jazz is not "popular music" today. That's neither the fault of jazz nor the fault of the popular masses. We can analyze the causes of this historical change usefully. -- Yoshie