Marxism and Bodies

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Sat Jan 11 21:50:28 PST 2003

I would like to hear what people say too. One of my concerns is that the body is only conceived in terms of work. The worker is the central place of body. It is a work-based model of social membership. For people who may not be able to work this poses a problem because they are marginalized by a world in which productive capacity equates with worth.

Andre Gorz writes " the demand to 'work less' does not mean or imply the right to 'rest more.'" Paul Abberley points out that is precisely what some disabled bodies need, is to rest more. The body not working is inferior to the body at work it seems.

I would like to find some strains in Marxism which do not encapsulate work as Utopia -- for how can the impaired body be equally valued?

Marta