The Bush Defense

John K. Taber jktaber at tacni.net
Sun Jan 12 07:41:51 PST 2003

Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> > now we just need to make progress on the progressiveness of
> the FICA and
> > Medicare taxes. I'd like to see FICA be some percentage of
> income above
> > $N and below $M where N > $25k and M < $150k or something like that.
>
> Sounds great. Unfortunately, when was the last time a
> candidate ever got
> elected (or re-elected) by saying he was going to raise
> taxes? Especially
> on that electorally key $75-$150,000 group. We could "save social
> security" in an afternoon if the entire political class didn't regard
> such a raise as electoral suicide.
>
> Which is not a knock on your idea, with which I entirely
> agree. I'm just
> wondering how it could be done.
>
> Michael

FICA is regressive as a tax, but progressive in payback as Social Security. Lower income persons get a much greater percentage back than higher income persons.

>From what I've read and heard, it's a wash.

As a person dependent on Social Security, I can only hope you all are cautious in criticisms and proposals. Remember that the Left is powerless in America. Almost any criticism you make will be used by the Right, who is NOT powerless, to destroy rather than correct.

There are people who want to destroy Social Security.

-- Wiederzuruecklurken, John K. Taber