The Bush Defense

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Sun Jan 12 08:56:14 PST 2003

As a matter of arithmetic, you get total payroll taxes (i.e. for Social Security and Medicare, but not for unemployment/FUTA) by doing what I said, as long as payroll is under the cap (Jordan gave you the arcane details).

I consider the employer part as a burden on the worker, so from my standpoint 15.3 is not double counting what the worker 'pays.'

mbs

"Max B. Sawicky" <sawicky at bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> Payroll tax is simple -- just multiply wages by 15.3%.
> (that includes the employer's half; employee only is 7.65%.)

Max, I think including the employer's half is double counting, unless you first give the employee the employer's 7.65% as his wage/salary before you take it away as his payroll tax.

It's simpler to treat the employee's payroll tax as just 7.65% of his wage.

On another subject more lighthearted, somebody said "unlurk". Shouldn't it be "delurk?"

German would be wonderful for this. Einlurken, auflurken, auslurken, umlurken, anlurken, verlurken, etc. I'm getting carried away already.

-- Wiederlurken, John K. Taber