Marxism as Cultural Studies :-0

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sun Jan 12 09:56:43 PST 2003

A member of the Young Communist League in the late 30's on the way young comrades dance in that diamat shuffle. (Paraphrase, since I can't look up the quote in the dozens of books I have on the CPUSA.)

"Oh heaven's no! We like to dance, listen to Benny Goodman, too just like any other normal kids. We're just into dialectical materialism, too."

Cf. Stanley Aronowitz nice memoir of a Popular Front upbringing in, "Roll Over Beethoven."

Also, at Modern Times saw a nice new coffeetable book from Yale Univ. Press, if memory serves, on American Communism and Art from the 30's and 40's.

-- Michael Pugliese

I got an axe-handle pistol with a graveyard frame. It shoots tombstone bullets wearing balls and chains. I'm drinking TNT. I'm smokin' dynamite. I hope some screwball start's a fight, 'cause I'm ready, ready, ready

Muddy Waters, "I'm Ready."