Hardass Marxists Re: Deleuze & Guattari, Zizek on Arendt (More from Brennan)

Bryan Atinsky bryan at indymedia.org.il
Sun Jan 12 13:44:46 PST 2003

For all you Zizek heads (and those who find him annoying)

He is in Israel for the week and is speaking at several various venues.

Today he spoke in Jerusalem at the Spinoza Institute...beautiful place overlooking the old city (Mt. Zion and the Church of Dormition across the valley)

The lecture was titled "Why Sept. 12 is more important than Sept. 11th" or something of that sort...it was done for a conference on Religion, Nationalism and Violence.

While he did vaguely speak the first minute about Sept. 12 and wrapped up with a reference to the issue...he went off on his usual Zizekian tangents (which is not to say that they weren't interesting in themselves)...The positive aspects of Amish Fundamentalism, The Buddhist Ethic and the Spirit of Global Capitalism, and very closely tied to the issue of Religion, Nationalism and Violence, his main running theme of the lecture was the analogy of a Kinder Surprise Egg as the Object of desire(chocolate shell) and the objet petit a (surprise plastic toy)...

Anyway, he kindly allowed us (Indymedia Israel) to video and audio record his lecture, so I will be putting it up on our site in the next day or two and will inform you peoples...you can then hear for yourselves.

Tomorrow he is speaking at the Cinemateche in Tel-Aviv, supposedly on the subject of "The relevance of Freud's Theory of Sexuality to today" in honor of one of Freud's books on sexuality being newly translated into hebrew, but who knows what he will talk about. I may record that also..

Hopefully more explicitly political will be his talk on Tuesday for Yesh Gvul (the Israeli conscientious objector organization) in Jerusalem, which we also will be recording and putting on Indymedia.

Anyway,

Bryan