Jared Israel's website,"Documenting the Nazi Past of the Palestinian Leadership/"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jan 12 16:43:33 PST 2003

Michael Pollak wrote:

> So Henry Wallace was for the creation of Israel where Truman was initially
> against it (following the judgment of George Marshall and the state
> department)? I never realized that before. I can easily imagine what
> Wallace's argument would have been to the realpolitik arguments against
> the establishment of Israel.

I was 18 at the time. You almost have to have lived then to have a realization of how deeply racist anti-racists were. That is, probably a majority of left liberals in the u.s. would have supported Israel on purely idealistic grounds -- it would have seemed almost like the _left_ thing to do. And the Palestinians? No one would have even thought of them.

Truman and Marshall would have been the advocates of realpolitik. My guess is that Wallace supported Israel on idealistic grounds.

Carrol