life among the pre-rich

alex lantsberg wideye at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 12 19:51:11 PST 2003

but brooks also mentions something about the american ideal of equal opportunity and fair play, which is a major opening for organizing work. this seems self--evident, but can't many of the leftier policy proposals be framed as a way to expand and ensure opportunity?

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Michael Pugliese Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2003 10:27 AM To: lbo-talk Subject: Re:life among the pre-rich

George McGovern, after his defeat in '72 was at the check out stand at a grocery store in South Dakota. Poor white woman buying her food with the food stamps that McGovern and Bob Dole had written the bill for originally telling George why she voted for Nixon. His "soak the rich" tax plan would have hurt her children once they became taxpayers. She said they would become millionaires. If he'd been a certain type of academic marxist he'd have berated her for her, "false consciousness." Which it was, of coarse.

"False Consciousness, " by Joseph Gabel, Harper & Row, early 70's. Ron Eyerman also has written about it, as has Russell Jacoby, on the false consciousness of Althusser and Bettelheim on the GPCR in a chapter of his, "Dialectic of Defeat, " Cambridge Univ. Press, preface by Christopher Lasch. -- Michael Pugliese

I got an axe-handle pistol with a graveyard frame. It shoots tombstone bullets wearing balls and chains. I'm drinking TNT. I'm smokin' dynamite. I hope some screwball start's a fight, 'cause I'm ready, ready, ready

Muddy Waters, "I'm Ready."