James Heartfield at Waterstones

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall at union.org.za
Mon Jan 13 06:52:40 PST 2003

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 21:50:21 +0000

James Heartfield <Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <200301061733.MAA14356 at dont.panix.com>,
> lbo-talk-digest <owner-lbo-talk-digest at lists.panix.com>
> writes
> >[James has a solution to the idiocy of rural life -
> build lots of
> >houses all over the place!]
>
> Thanks for the plug, Doug
> --
> James Heartfield
>
> http://www.heartfield.demon.co.uk/james1.htm

While I personaly tend to believe that those who are those "ZPG" folks are ones who tend to think that "Overpopulation" is when people who are not the right color have children, for balance, I'll put this counterpoint from recent Sanford research on this matter:

Smaller households fuel global housing boom and threaten biodiversity, study finds

A new study in the journal Nature concludes that the average household is shrinking -- a worldwide trend that is fueling an international housing boom, which threatens the survival of plants and animals in dozens of countries including the United States.

According to the study, housing units throughout the world are being built at a rate that outpaces population growth, resulting in a loss of habitat, natural resources and biodiversity.

"We had hoped to find that, where human population growth was slowing, biodiversity might be given some breathing room," said Stanford University ecologist Gretchen C. Daily, co-author of the study. "But instead, we've found that urban and suburban sprawl are accelerating faster than population growth is decelerating." Full Story: http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2003/january15/households-115.html --- Sent from UnionMail Service [http://mail.union.org.za]