Death penalty and class

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jan 13 08:25:40 PST 2003

Chris Burford wrote:

>I was wondering about the lack of reference on this list to George
>Ryan's dramatic decision to pardon all Illinois prisoners on death
>row.

I thought it was great news. Watched a former federal prosecutor on Fox News last night who was worried that the wholesale pardon violated due process (though she personally opposed the DP), and that other governors might be tempted to follow his example. We can only hope. There does seem to be some slight shift in public opinion, and maybe Ryan's move will accelerate it. But he was at the end of his term facing a corruption trial with nothing to lose.

Since we've been talking about the sects lately, I hear the ISO deserves lots of credit for organizing against capital punishment. For all their faults, they deserve lots of credit for that thankless task.

Doug