The Triumph of Hope Over Self-Interest

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 13 09:00:17 PST 2003

> Maoist groups like MIM (Maoist International
> Movement) and
> the Revolutionary Communist Party claim that a
> majority of
> American workers, mainly white workers, are now a
> days,
> members of the labor aristocracy, and thus benefit
> directly
> or indirectly from exploitation of the Third World.

Without necessarily signing omnto a labor aristocracy theory, isn't it possivle that it;s true that most American workers benefit in some sense from superexploitation of Third World workers? Where do those low prices in Wal-Mart come from? Yes, yes, I know that capital mobility and gloabalization also threaten jobs and unions, etc., but this is a complex -- dare I say a dialectical? -- phenomenon. jks