A Marxist critiques TV (Future of Lbo)

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 13 09:35:04 PST 2003

> In other words, despite the ground-breaking style
> and
> thought-provoking content that set these programs
> apart
> from the inane sitcoms and melodramas that comprise
> much of
> TV, their inability to propose a better system means
> they
> fell short of any meaningful social impact.

Well, I disagree that None of them offer "another world" ,another vision of the future. For example, Star Trek, "The Next Generation" and others in that series offer a vision, albeit contradictory in some ways. On the one hand, a sort of communism seems to be in place, poverty, and deprivation seem to have been overcome, people pursue their own creative goals rather than ones imposed by capital, etc. There is a hierarchy but it seems to be based on seniority, experience. On the other hand, there are these intergalactic wars, and it's usually not clear what they are fighting over, except they dont like each other . From this I can only conclude that, in that future, lbo-talk still exists and its listmembers have graduated from flaming each other with words and instead are using photon torpedos.

> "Capitalism is not by nature a stagnant, static
> system,"
> Booker explained. "It has to keep innovating in
> order to
> survive. Challenges and new ideas feed it.

Hmmm, I dont think stagnant or static are the right words. Capitalism is limiting...everything revolves around production and consumption.

That's
> true to
> such an extent that some people have suggested Marx,
> himself, made a greater contribution to capitalism
> than
> almost any other person. He pointed out its flaws,
> many of
> which the capitalists then fixed."

That's like saying Lou Proyect is a major voice in etiquette.

-Thomas

===== "Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

"Money eats quality and shits out quantity" -William Burroughs