The Triumph of Hope Over Self-Interest

Brian O. Sheppard bsheppard at bari.iww.org
Mon Jan 13 14:16:36 PST 2003

> Justin:
> > Without necessarily signing omnto a labor aristocracy
> > theory, isn't it possivle that it;s true that most
> > American workers benefit in some sense from
> > superexploitation of Third World workers? Where do
> > those low prices in Wal-Mart come from?

To Justin - yes. There's no doubt that many workers in the US do benefit from their bosses' exploiting poorer workers abroad. To quote one of my favorite crusty old anarchists:

"The worker in England, France, Holland, and so on, participates to some extent in the profits which, without efforts on their part, fall into the laps of the bourgeoisie of his country from the unrestrained exploitation of colonial peoples; but sooner or later there comes the time when these people, too, wake up, and he has to pay all the more dearly for the small advantages he has enjoyed. [...] As long as the worker ties up his interests with those of the bourgeoisie of his country instead of with those of his class, he must logically also take in his stride all the results of that relationship. He must stand ready to fight the wars of the possessing classes for the retention and extension of their markets, and to defend any injustice they may perpetrate on other peoples."

(Rudolf Rocker, Anarcho-Syndicalism, 1938)

--

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Il etait enfin venu, le jour ou je fus un pourceau!" - Comte de Lautreamont, Les Chants de Maldoror, 4th Hymn, Strophe 6