A Marxist critiques TV (Star Trek, The Ferengi)

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 13 15:57:22 PST 2003

--- billbartlett at dodo.com.au wrote: Star Trek you will
> recall is about a post capitalist society in which
> scarcity has been abolished because everything can
> be manufactured from pure energy with "replicators".

It's interesting that several of us, quite independently, thought of "Star Trek". It's one of the few popular Sci-Fi films in which we get to see life behind the wars and adventures.

However, there are the Ferengi (like Quark) who carry the capitalist spirit through the wormhole to Deep Space Nine. But the Ferengi are not considered in a good light:

<<Quark is the Ferengi bartender on DS9. The Ferengi race, hs seen in The Next Generation, are ugly, sexist, greedy little aliens who are interested only in profit and getting theirs hands on anything of yours they happen to fancy. >>

-Thomas

===== <<Would you mind if I put my penis machine in your vagina machine">> (Fromthe forthcoming, "Deleuze and Guattari's Favorite Pickup Lines", by Thomas Seay)