Jude: vote for Rev Al!

Anthony Kennerson maroondog244 at lycos.com
Tue Jan 14 07:14:37 PST 2003

And which "favorite sons" would Ms. Brazile actually run, Nathan??? Diane Magette in Georgia, who managed a scant 15% of the black vote in her coup against Cynthia McKinney?? Harold Ford in Tennessee, who is so conservative a Democrat that he allies himself with the Blue Dogs and DLC'ers??? Does she really think that running weak candidates in the Dem primaries will prevent any of the pre-anointed DLC-backed candidates (Lieberman, Edwards, Kerry) from ultimately gaining the nomination??? This looks more like an attempt by the Dems to weld the black vote permanently to the ultimate winner of the primaries; I really believe that black folk are much smarter than that and will ultimately vote on real issues....which right now the Dems truly are lacking.

As for Rev. Al: I tend to like what he's saying at the moment, and I do hope that he gives the Dems loads of heartburn in the primaries; but we've been here before with Jessie Jackson's 1988 campaign, and his chances of gaining the nomination are about as likely as snow falling in South Louisiana in March. He'd be much better IMHO if he ultimately runs as an Independent after the primary season is over. And he would have to reconcile the same tensions that ultimately killed the Jackson movement in the 80's (culturally conservative Blacks competing with culturally liberal whites; fellow -travelling within the Dems versus a truly independent movement, among others).

I agree with Doug on this one; Sharpton isn't perfect; but he's definitly no Rev. Dr. Greedygut.

Anthony

--

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 18:23:56

_____________________________________________________________ Get 25MB, POP3, Spam Filtering with LYCOS MAIL PLUS for $19.95/year. http://login.mail.lycos.com/brandPage.shtml?pageId=plus&ref=lmtplus