TOWARD A MAXIMUM ANTI-WAR MOVEMENT

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jan 14 08:08:17 PST 2003

Marta Russell wrote:

> Boring enough that most of those who had participated in
> the march did not stick around for the rally to hear Ron or any one
> else. But perhaps it did give people an outlet for their
> frustrations. And there was a heartening mix of race -- lots of
> hispanics and black persons. Youth turned out too. What did it
> accomplish, however? How do we measure it?

It sounds to me like a pretty successful demo! I think there is a strong tendency to expect more of demos than it is reasonable to expect. They are simply (!) a sign of how good the work was _before_ the demo in mobilizing for it. Numbers good. March good. Motions gone through. Racial mixture. Back to work. What more do you want?

Carrol

> Marta

P.S. I'm not sure who you are quoting below, but it seems to me an example of pure sectarianism every bit as bad as any on the "paleolithic left." I think too many people had their brains washed by the Gary Hart campaign for president and its slogan of "new ideas." The demand for new ideas is simply a demand not to be made to think, because thinking almost always simply involves making known "ideas" work in superficially changed contexts.