Laura Bush against the war?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 14 08:45:58 PST 2003

New York Post [Page Six] - January 14, 2003

Bianca Jagger: cocktail smarts

FIRST gasbag actor Sean Penn went on a "fact-finding mission" to Iraq. Now Bianca Jagger is engaging in her own brand of dilettante diplomacy. Jagger left for Baghdad just hours after attending a Friday night cocktail party on the Upper East Side where the topic du jour was the looming war against Saddam Hussein. Jagger boned up on international affairs by chatting with such chin-stroking media brahmins as historian Arthur Schlesinger Jr., Foreign Affairs editor James Hoge, New York Review of Books editor Bob Silvers and Harper's publisher John MacArthur. Among the threads of conversation picked up by our spy: Hoge declaring that First Lady Laura Bush is against the war and has more influence on her husband than people think; Schlesinger opining that it's "60/40" we'll attack Iraq; and miscellaneous chatter about Joan Didion's piece in the current New York Review of Books and the spread of AIDS in war-ravaged Afghanistan.