TOWARD A MAXIMUM ANTI-WAR MOVEMENT

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jan 14 18:40:41 PST 2003

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> If a huge number of demonstrators really, really want to take
> chances, offend the police, break stuff, or what have you, they can
> and will do it, whatever rally organizers or "peace marshals" or
> others might say or do.

Yes. I've been in that situation twice -- and when it happens, it's a rush like nothing else I know. And when small groups try to fake it, it's one of the stupidest things I know. The young woman who broke apart the local SDS back in 1969 by joining the Weatherman got her arm broken during the Days of Rage. The last time I saw her, she was passing through town from east to west and consulting an astrology guide to see what bus she should take. I wonder if Chuck0 will end up in astrology or the Baptists? :-)

Carrol

If the crowd who want to take chances,