Joy of the Left

billbartlett at dodo.com.au billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Thu Jan 16 01:11:38 PST 2003

At 5:26 PM -0400 14/1/03, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>I am of an opinion that the bitter and marginal spewing out venom on a mailing list all the time (rather than erupting once in a while) are not having much "fun."

I'm not so sure. It may be a little kinky, but who am I to pass judgement?

> Why sign up for a leftist listserv if you can't tolerate leftists who populate it or can't take much interest in what they say (other than as occasions for venting rage)?

Well obviously they wouldn't sign up if they couldn't tolerate them, they must feel some respect for them. You don't argue with people you don't respect. But I suppose you're right, what with all the blistering attacks the relationship does seem to be more like a marriage than a love affair. But marriage is still a relationship.

But what sparked my ire was your comment that it was a waste of time doing it for nothing. I can't help feeling that there's something wrong with that attitude, surely even a rocky interaction based on real feelings is better than one based on nothing more than money?

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas