non-voters

Brian O. Sheppard bsheppard at bari.iww.org
Wed Jan 15 14:11:11 PST 2003

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Nathan Newman wrote:

> [...]

Texas here. Politics have shifted way to the right in this neck of the woods, though our immigrant Latino population is probably proportionately similar to California's (lived in the Central Valley for a few years, FYI - poor as hell but yeah it was "left" in a lot of ways). Republicans swept state-wide elections, which have been trending rightward over the past decade; we still have the most shameful record on the death penalty probably in the world; we're among the bottom in per capita spending; teachers get lousy pay; piss-poor social services for low income and uninsured mentally ill or the sick; it goes on. The only leftward trends immigration has brought here are a growth in unions for jobs that one sees Latino majorities in. I have to agree with Wojtek as far as social conservatism, however.

Brian

--

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Il etait enfin venu, le jour ou je fus un pourceau!" - Comte de Lautreamont, Les Chants de Maldoror, 4th Hymn, Strophe 6