le Carre: U.S. has gone mad

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 16 05:32:14 PST 2003

>From: Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>
>
>At 10:04 PM +0000 1/15/03, Carl Remick wrote:
>>But has there ever been a people as tractable and eager to be misled as
>>Americans?
>
>The Japanese at the height of the militarist and imperialist years?
>--
>Yoshie

Point taken. Perhaps I should just say its wondrously strange that Americans -- possessing two centuries of hearty self-congratulation about their robust individualism and the strength of their democratic spirit and traditions -- are as tractable and eager to be misled as the are.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ The new MSN 8 is here: Try it free* for 2 months http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup