The Triumph of Hope Over Self-Interest

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Thu Jan 16 07:45:33 PST 2003

>>>Despair?
>>
>>You got an antidote?
>>
>>Doug
>
>No.
>
>Brad DeLong

I do--we should write surveys that ask, for example:

Should our government (a) tax multi-millionaires (b) borrow from multi-millionaires and use your taxes to pay them back at high interest rates

Which is more important (a) that your child's school have toilet paper (b) that Ken Lay's 20th bathroom have Italian marble

Do you prefer meat that has (a) high shit content (b) low shit content

Which health insurance system do you prefer? (a) one which pays profiteering middlemen 30 cents on the dollar, and depends on your job (b) one which doesn't

For the same pay, would you prefer to work (a) 30 hours a week (b) 60 hours a week

Strategically, I think the international comparisons you're talking about are helpful, they certainly have been with health care. Also, the rich only seem deserving as long as people don't see that it's their unpaid wages that are buying all that luxury and power. Battering that myth should be a priority.

Which is more of a bite on your paycheck? (a) the 20% you pay in taxes (b) the 60% your employer pockets before paying you

Jenny Brown