non-voters

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Thu Jan 16 07:58:02 PST 2003

>If memory serves, Labor Party refused to take a position on abortion to
>avoid pissing off catholic sentiments of Latino supporters.
>
>Wojtek

The sentiments were from FLOC (Farm Labor Organizing Committee) and Bakery local in Cleveland (Catholic but not mostly recent immigrants). However, the founding convention voted for a pro-choice plank ('96), and reaffirmed it in '98. The ILWU was in the lead pushing for abortion rights.

Wojtek earlier wrote:
>A few years ago I read an anaylys for the result of the "motor voter"

>bill - it turns out that repugs were big winners (lower class in this

>contry is staunchly conservative).

Since the distinction between the dominant parties on economic issues is slight (I submit Clinton's record, if not his rhetoric), the social issues tend to swing people (abortion, death penalty, gun control etc.) But I don't think we should mistake that for conservatism on bread & butter issues. With such pallid choices, how the hell could we tell what these voters really wanted?

Jenny Brown