popular culture

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Thu Jan 16 15:31:41 PST 2003

At 06:13 PM 01/16/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>I think I would rate Michaelangelo's Madonna and Child among the most
>sensual of all that period's sculpture. Right up there with
>Donatello's David.

Oh yeah!...or Donatello's anything.

In Mexico, worship of the Virgin was almost an
>independent thing from regular Church, but I wasn't old enough and
>didn't stay long enough to really get what was going on. It was as if
>women, especially old women had a god of their own. It is hard to
>remember without too much later overlay.

I'm not sure that what is being worshipped is the "virgin" part of the woman; I think Mariolatry had more to do with worship of the "merciful mother."

I myself never saw the point of virginity in any form; it always seemed to me that virtue (virtu) in action was much more difficult/challenging/interesting than the virtue of abstention. Perhaps some catholic on this list....could set me right :)

Joanna