Shinui

Reed Tryte reed_tryte at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 16 17:45:48 PST 2003

>Reed Tryte wrote:
>
>>Also, "a terrible Levantine dunghill" is quite a
>>phrase. Nobody uses language that, um, vivid in
>>American politics anymore.
>
>Pat Buchanan?
>
>Doug

Yes, I thought of him. But while he may have whipped up something like that in 1978, since then he seems to have gradually become domesticated... at least in public. It's hard to imagine him saying that now. I think to find that type of phrase-making these days you'd have to go pretty far out on the fringe.

Also, it's interesting because Shinui appears to be a somewhat different phenomenon than Buchanan -- both are fueled by resentment, but the resentment of different classes. After reading that article, I sent email to a distant relative in Tel Aviv who's an engineer who came to Israel from England. (And his wife's a professor.) If they were in the US they wouldn't be caught dead voting for someone like Buchanan, even leaving aside the obvious reasons. But he said they really like Lapid, though they'll probably end up voting for Labor.