Popular culture

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Fri Jan 17 09:29:09 PST 2003

I'm all for jettisoning the last two oppositions, but I'm not entirely sure what "the dialectic between the concrete and the imaginary" means -- is the real/imaginary (in the psychoanalytic sense), or something else?

Catherine

It was off the top of my head, because I needed something at that point to say. But not entire psychoanalytic, because it dominates rather than juxtapositioning or contrasting interiority with some other realm. There are lot of different ways to capture something like it. Say ideal and material, actual and virtual. The problem with real and imaginary, the obvious choice is the word real, which doesn't put enough emphasis on objects and material things. Visable, holdable, things to stumble over in the dark.

Somehow just watching a kid play with a toy (or make something for pretend) is what I am trying to say, and can't quite pick the words to oppose and define the realms involved.

Here is an example where real and imaginary doesn't work, but maybe somthing else might. It's from the thread Rambo v Osama:

``A movie insider said: `The original story had Rambo killing bin Laden single-handed, but even Sly thought that was beyond the imagination. `Instead he will be the brains behind bin Laden's downfall.' ''

But I wouldn't insist on any of this. If you've got something better, by all means, don't keep it to yourself.

Chuck Grimes