Academic politics

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 19 14:45:38 PST 2003

At teaching schools,s omeone like me had, after five or six years, out publsihed their entire faculty with combines years of experience sometimes exceeding 200 years, so I was intimidating. At research schools, the more you publish the more there is to pick at, and given the volume of applications, the hiring commitee is looking for reasons to ding applicants. So someone fresh out of a good grad school with good recs and maybe one publication (not required in my day but I hear required now) presents a lower profile target. "Besides, if he's got all those publications, hwo come he's not already at a better school than thsi? Must be something wrong with him. If he were any good, he's already have tenure at Columbia." jks