Marta wanted you to see this!

Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 19 15:24:02 PST 2003

Dennis said:
>>But Dennis, by your logic shouldn't the USA share in any
>>punishment to Iraq, in re: the Iran war? And if not, then
>>why Iraq (as far as its aggression to Iran is concerned)?
>>I think you've argued this one off the table.
>>
>>mbs

>Not really. The point I'm trying to make is that Iraq is not some poor,
>progressive state that would do wonders if only left alone by US
>imperialism

I don't remember. Has someone characterized Iraq in that way?

>Saddam's regime is aggressive and murderous, and would be if the US >stayed
>out of the picture.

Yup (especially if provoked). Possibly right up until he died. After that, who knows?

>My argument isn't about proper punishment for crimes -- it's about what
>constitutes a "victim" in the mindset of the contemporary, "antiwar" >left.

vic·tim ( P ) Pronunciation Key (vktm) n. 1. One who is harmed or killed by another: a victim of a mugging. 2. A living creature slain and offered as a sacrifice during a religious rite. 3. One who is harmed by or made to suffer from an act, circumstance, agency, or condition: victims of war. 4. A person who suffers injury, loss, or death as a result of a voluntary undertaking: You are a victim of your own scheming. 5. A person who is tricked, swindled, or taken advantage of: the victim of a cruel hoax.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=victim

Nowhere does it say the "victim" has to be innocent of any wrongdoing too. I'm thinking of those Israeli soldiers taken prisoner a few months ago and butchered by a mob of Palestinians.

Welcome back. The book going ok?

_________________________________________________________________ The new MSN 8 is here: Try it free* for 2 months http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup