udis and the left (and Ronald Radosh too)

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sun Jan 19 16:00:23 PST 2003

James Weinstein of In These Times, SR and Studies on the Left, in his days in the YCL in the post WWII period met Julius Rosenberg once. In the fracas after the Radosh/Milton book on the Rosenberg case, Weinstein supported their case. And, he said, many CPUSA members would have been honoured to underake, "special tasks, " as their proletarian internationalist duty. Victor Rabonowitz,if memory serves, was one of those interviewed by Radosh that admitted they knew the truth but would be unwilling to go on record. On the Hiss case and it's symbolic meanings for left, liberal and conservative intelligentsia, ISI (a conservative publisher, the publish the Old Right scholarly rag, Modern Age) has a new one with all the classic pieces. They also have new bios of James Burnham and Frank Meyer a CPUSA figure that also joined Buckley's masthead @ NR.

-- Michael Pugliese

"Without knowing that we knew nothing, we went on talking without listening to

each other. Sometimes we flattered and praised each other, understanding that

we would be flattered and praised in return. Other times we abused and shouted

at each other, as if we were in a madhouse." -Tolstoy