Recycling is Bad?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jan 20 12:07:31 PST 2003

At the first Midwest Conference of Radical Scholars and Activists a left geographer from Northwestern read an excellent paper (which I never got a hard copy of) that demonstrated pretty conclusively that (a) recycling was essentially just a service to a few corporations and (b) was a serious energy drain. It takes a good deal more energy to turn waste paper into paper than to turn wood chips into paper.

I have no opinion -- but whatever the correct conclusion, that particular paper was no yada yada yada.

Carrol