Buckley and Posner

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jan 20 14:44:32 PST 2003

Carl Remick wrote:

> >Gore Vidal tried to pin the anti-Semitic tag back on Buckley in their
> >televised spats on ABC during the '68 conventions...
>
> Ah, great moments in television. Who could forget Buckley's suave riposte?
> "Now listen, you queer, stop calling me a crypto-Nazi or I’ll sock you in
> your goddamn face and you’ll stay plastered."
> <http://www.pitt.edu/~kloman/tapes.html>

The last convention I watched on TV was in 1964, but Jan saw this episode and she too remembers it as one of the most vivid moments of TV she'd ever seen.

Too bad TV wasn't around to record the 1940 convention when whoever was mayor of Chicago then (I think it was Kelly of Kelly-Nash) had city employees behind the stage chanting into microphones, "We Want Roosevelt." It was needed if I remember correctly because Roosevelt wanted to be nominated but didn't want to say he wanted to be nominated.

Carrol