community colleges

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Tue Jan 21 09:39:51 PST 2003

At 02:11 PM 01/20/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>So someone who does their undergraduate work at the UofC and gets their =
>PhD at Madison will be frozen out of a job regardless of their =
>credentials? I find that hard to believe.

When I was looking for an academic job...in the late eighties, there seemed to be a graduated system in place: the ivy leaguers hired other ivy leaguers, the rest of the majors hired from the rest of the majors. The word was that if you had a degree from a prestigious school, the middlish schools wouldn't hire you because you'd leave the first chance you got. There were five hundred applicants for the job I got at SUNY Plattsburgh. Some of those applicants were from Princeton. It was definitely a buyers market; and so far as I know it still is. They can pick anyone they want for whatever reason they care to offer.

I think community colleges are great.

Joanna