Volunteer "human shields" to head for Iraq

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Jan 21 11:32:09 PST 2003

> "Putting yourself in danger is not going to help at all," said John Nicol,
> British air force flyer shot down in 1991 and later paraded on Iraqi
> television. He was moved around by the Iraqis to various potential targets
> and experienced allied bombing nearby.
>
> "I doubt it would be a deterrent to any attack," Nicol, a journalist and
> military analyst since leaving the air force, told Reuters. "I am shocked
> that anyone would want to put themselves in such a situation."

I'm not. And despite what these prospective human shields say, they are indeed putting their bodies on the line to protect a murderous and imperialist thug. Put it this way: If the Kurds were planning to launch a military offensive against Saddam, one that would undoubtedly result in civilian casualties, would these same people put themselves on the line? Or are they doing this because their respective governments are launching the attack? If that's the case, then they can't be too worried about Iraqi civilians overall. And I seriously doubt they would try to shield the Kurds from Saddam's troops.

DP