Museums of Atheism

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Jan 21 11:59:04 PST 2003

Chris:
> My description will be very approximate. I've seen only one
> museum of atheism. It occupied a beautiful 19th century
> mansion on Volodarsky street in the center of Moscow, not far
> from metro station Taganskaya. The first floor accommodated
> an exhibition of books on atheism by Soviet writers,
> basically critical analyses of the Bible. Also, some exhibits
> on history of religion, particularly pictures of Russian
> pagan gods. Also placard, posters and funny cartoons of

Right now they are spending their money on renovating churches of various stripes, where were grossly neglected in the Soviet era. When I saw that during my last year's visit to Leningrad, I thought the Soviet screwed that up. Neglecting these beautiful works of architecture was totally unnecessary. They could have simply re-defined them as products of human labor, which is what they actually were. They should have turned them into museums, as they did the Hermitage.

Wojtek