an exchange of letters between the NYT ombusdman and me

kelley jimmyjames at softhome.net
Wed Jan 22 09:56:19 PST 2003

>Though they originally gave a ridiculously low estimate of 50,000, they
>have now tripled their count to 150,000. Organizers estimate that the
>crowed reached 200,000.

and STILL 289 mllion people stayed home in the US.

Obsessing over numbers seems a little silly. Further, it doesn't really matter. As soon as bombs start flying, a demo will be lucky to get 10k.

Is that reason to give up?

NO. It's just important that we remember that it's a long, difficult struggle and this "war" will be over by June. There is much more work to be done. There is no reason to think that organizing the left must be done over anti-war struggles. There are millions of other struggles to be waged.

Onward.

Kelley