Raimondo on Ritter

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 22 10:29:24 PST 2003

--- mike larkin <mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Ritter was raising questions about Iraq when he was
> an
> inspector and quit, I believe, in 98 or 99 because
> he
> realized the inspections regime was being used as a
> cover for spying and made his objections known, at
> least to his superiors. That's serious business,
> and
> it's very possible Clinton, the CIA, NSC, or others
> set up the sting at that time to discredit him; that
> Bush, et al knew of it; and waited until the
> opportune
> moment to use it against him. So 9/11 may have had
> nothing to do with it.
>
> _______

Well, if the allegations are true -- and I am not saying one way or the other because I know no more than anyone here -- nothing made him fall for the sting. People talk as if that sort of tactic was unfair. Obviously it doesn't go to credibility on weappons inspections (it's not a crime of fraud or deceit), but it doesn't reflect well on his character if he was an almost-40 year old man trying to hit on what he thought was a teenager. I've seen people sentenced to long prison terms for that sort of behavior. Personally I think they need treatment rather than prison. But if grownups will exploit children sexually, I see nothing wrong in "stinging" them to stop them. jks