lbo-talk-digest V1 #7286

Daniel Davies dsquared at al-islam.com
Wed Jan 22 11:48:00 PST 2003

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 09:42:46 -0500 From: Dennis Perrin Subject: Re: subject change

>One can oppose Saddam, indeed denounce him and hope
>he soon falls, and denounce Israel's occupation and
>contribution to terror through surrogates.
>Is your mind big enough for that, Joanna? Or are you
>gonna fall into the old predictable trap of saying, "Well
>so-and-so does it too! So there!"

One can oppose Saddam, denounce him and hope he soon falls also, while at the same time believing that an operation by the current American government to oust him is far more likely to do harm than good. Your own track record of determinedly failing to understand this point means that you are in a pretty poor position to cast aspersions on the bigness of anyone else's mind. You're also the greatest exponent on this list of saying "Well so-and-so does it too!" when confronted with any qualms about US imperialism, so give it a rest on that score too.

------------------------------- Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 09:58:18 -0600 (CST) From: budge Subject: Re: Raimondo on Ritter
>but the police didn't "conduct a sex sting on the eve of
>war", they did it in jun 2001 (for the slow, that is
>*before* sept 11, 01)

But *after* Ritter had begun to make himself inconvenient by speaking out against the Iraqi sanctions and on the general issue of Saddam's possession of WMD. I know it's a minority opinion in the USA, but many of us Europeans still believe that the 9/11 attacks were not carried out by Saddam Hussein ... some recherche souls even believe that the US may have considered war on Iraq before that date

>now the leaking of this may be a political dirty trick, >but
>it is hard to imagine the constabulary of suburban albany >os
>prescient they new in jun 01 that ritter would need
>discrediting later.

Nobody remotely familiar with the names "Colin Wallace" or "John Stalker" would regard this sort of behaviour as being remotely out of the ordinary course of business for an intelligence organisation. Again, I know this may sound kooky, but it might just be the case that in their dealings with a known loose cannon of the intelligence community, the Albany suburban police might potentially have been acting in concert with other governmental bodies. Crazy I know, but it has been known to happen.

dd