Great News From David Horowitz

Brian O. Sheppard bsheppard at bari.iww.org
Wed Jan 22 15:23:28 PST 2003

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Chuck0 wrote:

> That's a good question. If the WWP's involvement is deeply buried (not so
> deeply that columnists can ifnd the connection) then what is the WWP's goal?
> It's not recruitment. Are they trying to build street cred for their leaders?
>
> Chuck0

My 2 cents - a lot of WWP'ers are driven by a legitimate desire to stop Bush. That's their short term goal. They know no one would go to a demo (or anything else) organized by "WOrker's World Party" so these orgs like IAC and ANSWER help them get a foot in the door with the public. Gradually the public is acclimated to the more core beliefs as it becomes radicalized by the harmless-sounding front groups. Long term I think you're right - they want to build activist cred and funnel people into the core groups.

And make no mistake - the WWP are vehemently anti-anarchist. I met with Richard Becker in San Fran in 1999, and in his words directly to me, "anarchism is a petit bourgeois counterrevolutonary trend," "Makhno was an anti-semite," and he even disliked Z magazine "for polemicizing against us." Becker has written at least one pamphlet against anarchism, faulting its adherents for, among other things, causing Spain to be lost to Franco in 1936. Beneath the veneer of Amnesty Internatonal-esque liberalism is hardcore Leninist ideology.

Brian

--

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Il etait enfin venu, le jour ou je fus un pourceau!" - Comte de Lautreamont, Les Chants de Maldoror, 4th Hymn, Strophe 6