military numbers

Jeet Heer jeet at sturdynet.com
Thu Jan 23 07:25:58 PST 2003

In his Bussiness Week article Paul Magnusson wrote:

" Casualty figures don't make much of a case for bringing back
> conscription for racial-equality reasons. Pentagon officials concede
> that African Americans enlist at "modestly" higher rates and stay
> longer than whites, raising blacks' overall participation in the
> military to 21% (table). When it comes to combat deaths, however,
> blacks are represented roughly in proportion to their numbers in the
> overall U.S. population--about 12%. Some 12% of Americans killed in
> Vietnam were black, as were 15% of those killed in all later
> conflicts, according to Charles B. Moskos, a military sociologist at
> Northwestern University."

This is true enough, but the raw numbers ignore the historical changes that occured and also the reason why. In the early years of heavy U.S. fighting in Vietnam (say from 1965-1968), African-Americans were heavily over-represented among both the troops and the casaulties: figting and being killed at twice the rate of the percentage in the overall population. This led to huge outcry among African-American leaders, who joined the anti-war ranks much earlier than most of the traditional liberal-democrats. It was partially to defuse these critiques that Nixon ordered the army to stop using African-Americans as cannon fodder, which brought their death numbers down to the same rate as the population -- think of it as a type of "quota" for deaths. I think George Herring discusses this in his history of Vietnam war. I'll try to look it up.