Hollow ANSWER?

Brian O. Sheppard bsheppard at bari.iww.org
Thu Jan 23 13:41:19 PST 2003

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Liza Featherstone wrote:

> 2)Most peace groups are very disorganized, partly because they involve
> people who are also dealing with jobs, school, children, grandchildren,
> friends and lives. Luckily, party-building groups don't have that problem!

Yeah, somehow the IAC/WWP are able to employ people full time to organize and write for their paper. They have a system of "grooming" people from their meetings that they think will make good leaders, and eventually put them on their payroll, so that the IAC/WWP becomes, in effect, their career. A lot of us have never gotten paid for our activism (or "radical interests") and have had to pursue only when time allows. For example, my involvement with the IWW, which has only one person on its payroll out of over 1000 members, has actually cost me way more money and time than I have ever recouped.

After Seattle, 1999, the WWP added a token "ex-anarchist who came around and saw the light, which was the WWP" figure on their paper's staff, who also predictably became a familiar face at speeches from then on (Elijah Crane).

Brian

--

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Il etait enfin venu, le jour ou je fus un pourceau!" - Comte de Lautreamont, Les Chants de Maldoror, 4th Hymn, Strophe 6