even Australia is dragging its feet

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jan 23 13:03:11 PST 2003

The Age (Melbourne) - January 24, 2003

Give UN more time: Howard plea to Bush By Mark Forbes Defence Correspondent Canberra

Prime Minister John Howard has told President George Bush that he believes United Nations weapons inspectors need more time to complete their mission in Iraq.

Mr Howard revealed his conversation with Mr Bush yesterday as he farewelled the first contingent of 350 sailors and troops to depart for the Middle East in preparation for a possible war.

Mr Howard said the deployment of troops was necessary. But he revealed that he had told Mr Bush, during a telephone conversation on Wednesday night, that the inspectors should be given beyond their January 27 reporting date to investigate Iraq's weapons program.

President Bush did not want a military solution but was "understandably despairing of the willingness of Iraq to respond properly to UN inspections", Mr Howard said.

"I put it to him that from Australia's point of view, the UN process should be followed as fully as circumstances would allow."

In Washington, President Bush continued to talk up the prospect of war, saying Saddam Hussein was not interested in disarming. But in Europe, Germany and France said that "all must be done" to avoid conflict and opposed any UN resolution supporting invasion.

At an emotional farewell to families at Sydney's Garden Island base, Mr Howard said troops were being dispatched because President Saddam must be forced to disarm.

Asked last night whether he could rule out the use of nuclear weapons, he said: "If I thought there were going to be nuclear weapons used, I would not allow Australian forces to be involved - full stop."

Opposition Leader Simon Crean said Australian troops should not leave without UN endorsement.

It is the first time since Vietnam that Australian troops have been sent overseas without bipartisan support.

With opinion polls showing widespread opposition to Australian involvement in a war without UN sanction, Mr Crean said the Howard Government was effectively committed to invading Iraq.

Addressing the crew of HMAS Kanimbla and army units travelling aboard, Mr Crean said "I don't want to mince my words because I don't believe you should be going."

Saying that he supported the troops themselves, Mr Crean said he would do everything possible to ensure their safe and quick return.

The Democrats and Greens demanded parliament be recalled, proposing a motion to bring back the troops.

Mr Howard told the troops they were entitled to know why they were being deployed. They would join the existing multinational interception force in the Persian Gulf, but given the situation in Iraq, they could become involved in wider operations, he said.

He confirmed an expanded Australian contribution to a possible conflict in Iraq, saying that commandos and helicopters would be sent to support the SAS troops who will depart for the Middle East over the weekend.

Mr Howard said troops had to be sent to the region now so they could ready themselves for any possible military operations.

"I don't think it's fair on our military forces if we think it's possible that they could be involved in conflict to deny them the opportunity of pre-positioning, of acclimatisation, of training and getting ready," he said.